Sunday, November 10, 2013

SAGE Journals Online - Free choice database

Available through TWU, the SAGE Journals Online homepage's advanced search feature gave me these results when I searched for "Melungeon" with no limiters. All seven are full-text PDF articles:

The above search was limited to "SAGE articles available to me."  When I limited the search, instead, to "all SAGE content," the results were the same - seven.

The best hit:


One content thing I learned:  From the 2007 article "Mixing It Up: Early African American Settlements in Northwestern Ohio" by Jill E. Rowe comes this quote: "During this time period, there were a number of intermarriages and couplings between indigenous people, European explorers, ethnically diverse shipmates, and free and enslaved Africans in this section of the country.  Descendants of these unions were dubbed Melungeon, mulatto or colored, depending on the discretion of oft-illiterate census takers."    I had never thought about "couplings" between "ethnically diverse shipmates" as being a common occurrence in centuries past, believing it was more verboten than perhaps it was.  Perhaps it was simply more hidden.  I also didn't know there had been confusion between Melungeon and mulatto racial identities.  Some of my readings have helped drive home the point that Melungeon was really not a self-identified group until more recent years.

One searching item/tip I learned:  I liked the "search within" limiters on this database.  I had options of only articles available to me, all content or my "favorite journals."  I could also limit by publication or discipline.  Those options aren't ones available with every database.

Search process:  It was straight-forward and simple.  Even the advanced search was easy to understand and not overly complicated.  I didn't receive very many results but the journal articles I did find were all available in full-text and very informative.




No comments:

Post a Comment